pismire n : social insect living in organized colonies; characteristically the males and fertile queen have wings during breeding season; wingless sterile females are the workers [syn: ant, emmet]
- In the context of "obsolete|_|except in dialects": An ant.
- Late C14: He is as angry as a pissemyre, / Þogh þat he have al þat he kan desire — Geoffrey Chaucer, The Summoner's Tale
- 1658: Much there is not of wonder in the confused Houses of Pismires, though much in their busie life and actions — Sir Thomas Browne, The Garden of Cyrus (Folio Society 2007, p. 189)
- 1993: We are scurrying emmets or pismires with our sad little comedies. — Anthony Burgess, A Dead Man in Deptford
- Middle English: pissemyre
Pismire can refer to: